Lettings Insurance

When you rent a property, there are many things to consider. The most important of which is what type of insurance policy would be best for your needs. Three main types cover the majority of lettings situations: Contents Insurance, Building Insurance, and Landlord’s Legal Liability Insurance. It’s important to weigh up the pros and cons of each to decide which is right for you.

What is Lettings Insurance?

Lettings insurance is a type of insurance policy that is specifically designed for landlords. It provides cover for the building, contents, and any legal liabilities that may arise during renting out your property.

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance is a type of insurance policy that provides cover for the contents of your property. This includes furniture, appliances, and personal belongings. It’s important to have contents insurance if you’re a tenant, as your landlord’s insurance policy will not cover your belongings.

Many firms provide contents insurance coverage from banks to supermarkets, but don’t be fooled by off-the-shelf policies since you may be paying too much or not be adequately protected.

There are several things to consider when choosing a contents insurance policy. Firstly, you need to decide what level of cover you require. Most policies will provide cover for the replacement value of your belongings, but some may only provide cover for the actual value. You also need to decide whether you want to insure your belongings against theft, damage, or both. If you are going into rented housing, you’ll need contents insurance to safeguard both your belongings as well as the furnishings and finishes. Even if you rent an unfurnished place, carpets, drapes, and white goods will require protection, or you may lose your deposit and be required to pay for any replacements.

Landlords’ Insurance

Landlords’ Legal Liability Insurance is a type of insurance policy that provides cover for any legal liabilities that may arise during renting out your property. This includes compensation for any damages that may be caused to your property, as well as any legal expenses that may be incurred.

It’s important to have Landlords’ Legal Liability Insurance if you’re a landlord, as your buildings insurance policy will not cover any legal liabilities.

Landlords confront several unique hazards that are covered by landlords’ insurance. Comprehensive coverage will safeguard the property, lost rent, and your liability, protecting you, your belongings, and your tenants in the event of an accident.
What if your tenants don’t pay their rent or the property floods? You’d not only be responsible for reimbursing any expenses incurred, but you’d also have to find new housing for your renters. You may also include things like contents insurance and legal fees on the policy.

We can help you find the best insurance coverage for your needs and assist you keep your existing insurance up to date if there are any tenant modifications or periods of unoccupied property.

Considerations when taking out landlords’ insurance policies:

  • Rent Guarantee – The Tenancy Agreement protects you by allowing you to terminate the agreement at any time. In the case of a dispute, it also covers legal fees and rent if tenants refuse to pay.
  • Alternative Accommodation or loss of rent – If your property is destroyed in a flood or fire and becomes uninhabitable, you may be entitled to the monthly rental income for the mortgage or give alternative accommodation for renters.
  • Contents Insurance – Carpet, curtains, and kitchen appliances are all covered by contents insurance – not only for a furnished home but also for carpets, drapes, and culinary equipment in an unfurnished one.

People before Property

At a time and on a day of your choosing, please contact one of our property experts to book an appointment. Initial consultations are free and last around 30 minutes. Please reserve your spot by clicking the button below

Phone Mortgage Appointment Lettings & Estate Agents Appointment Insurance Appointment